Broccoli & Mushroom Quiche
- one 9-inch pie crust (I like the deep dish ones)
- 1 cup chopped broccoli (frozen is fine, but thaw and drain)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms(I use a 4 oz. can, drained, chopped into smaller pieces)
- 2 whole eggs plus 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (pretty sure the original recipe called for skim milk)
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss or mozzarella cheese (I usually use the mozzarella)
- 2 tablespoons flour
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake pie crust for 5 minutes; remove from oven and set aside. Decrease oven temperature to 350 degrees. Combine whole eggs and egg whites and beat together. Add broccoli, onions, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and parsley; stir together gently. Add milk, cheese, and flour. Stir mixture together and pour into warm pie crust. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted into center comes out clean.
NOTE: In my oven (with which I have a love-hate relationship), it usually takes longer than this. Also, once the edge of the crust is as brown as you want it, lay a piece of aluminum foil over the top so it doesn’t burn. No need to tuck it around the edges.
NOTE: In order to avoid spills into your oven which result in a stinky, smoky mess, put a cookie/baking sheet or some aluminum foil on the rack below the one you are baking the quiche on.