Prep. 20 min.; Bake 25 min.
- 1 pound ground beef (I use extra lean)
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes (plain or Mexican style), undrained
- 1 can (16 oz) refried beans (heated per instructions on can
- 3 cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend, Colby/Monterey, Pepper Jack…whatever suits your fancy)
- 6 (8-in) flour tortillas
In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add water and taco seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Stir in black beans, corn, and tomatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Place two tortillas in a greased 13-in by 9-in by 2-in baking dish. Spread with HALF of the refried beans (beans will spread more easily if they have been heated) and HALF of the beef mixture; sprinkle with one cup cheese. Top with two more tortillas; spread remaining beans and beef mixture over top and sprinkle with one cup cheese. Top with remaining two tortillas and remaining cup of cheese.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until heating through and the cheese is melted.
Yield: 9 servings