Taco Tuesday is my favorite dinner night of the week! (Not that I won’t eat tacos on other days; I’m not crazy!) Here’s what’s on the menu for tonight: oven-baked tacos, Mexican rice, and refried beans. I’m hungry already! Here are the recipes:
Oven-Baked Tacos (couldn’t get much easier…I use those shells with the flat bottoms)
- Ground beef (I use one pound)
- Refried Beans
- Taco Seasoning (see recipe for homemade seasoning below)
- 1⁄2 Can Tomato Sauce
Brown your ground beef and drain completely, then add refried beans, taco seasoning and about half a can of tomato sauce. Mix together and scoop into taco shells, (stand them up in a casserole dish). Sprinkle the cheese on top and bake at 375 for 10 minutes.
Prep 5 min Cook25 min Total30 min
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin.
Stir in onions and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 1 can refried beans
- 1⁄3 c. sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. Valentina hot sauce (I omit)
- 3⁄4 c. grated monterey jack cheese (or a cheddar/jack blend)
In a small sauce pan combine the refried beans, sour cream, and hot sauce over medium-low heat. Stir constantly and when the beans are heated through (don’t bring it to boiling) remove from heat and pour into a glass pie pan or 9×9 dish.
Top with grated cheese and heat in the oven or microwave until cheese is melted.
Taco Seasoning (I use 1 1/2 tablespoons per pound of meat)
Prep 1 min Total 1 min
Yield: 1 ounce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.